Like pain is a warning sign to our body, so emotions are to our soul. At our worst, we stuff our emotions deep within like toxic waste that has been buried deep beneath the earth surface or we spew them like lava spurting from a volcano. Either way, be it years later or in the moment, when not handled well our emotions can cause such harm to ourselves and others.
Our emotions are more than a feeling for they provide us an opportunity for greater understanding of ourselves and intimacy with God. His Word is full of examples of people dealing with their feelings in good and bad ways. So during this series, we will study specific biblical characters and Psalms as we learn to deal with our feelings in a healthy manner.
Along the way, our hope is that you become more aware of what you are feeling (Name it!) and understand why you are feeling the way you do (Tame it!), while learning to draw close to God and integrate His truth (Claim it!). In doing so, we believe that you will experience more freedom, reflect Christ more to the world, and have the potential to help others (Proclaim it!).
Learn to deal with what we feel:
- Name it! – name the emotion(s) stirring in you
- Tame it! – tame the emotion(s) by clarifying the cause (external & internal)
- Claim it! – claim the Truth by releasing the emotion(s) to God and receiving His truth
- Proclaim it! – share with others what you learned
Emotions / Intro
- Beyond Sunday: Week 1 • Week 2
- Feeling Wheel & Feelings Journal
- Seen Seminar – Monday, February 6 (Learn more about “Seen” book here)
- Book: Restore My Soul: Reimagining Self-Care for a Sustainable Life
- Movie: Inside Out
- Therapists: One Life Counseling Center / Christian Counseling Center
- Podcast or Right Now Media: Managing Leadership Anxiety w/ Steve Cuss